To-day it is Sneem, requested by a reader. A history of the village and church. I am quoting directly here from the 2005 publication The Diocese of Kerry formerly Ardfert: Working in the Fields of God, edited by Fr. Kieran O’Shea:
“The Catholic Parish of Sneem comprises the eastern portion of the medieval parish of Kilcrohane. It extends from Derreensillagh in the west to the Blackwater River (An Doinn) about 20km to the east, with the mountain range to the north and the Kenmare River to the south. The name of Baile an Bhogaigh (Ballybog) was applied in former centuries to that part of the parish east of the pass of Béal na Méine on the main road, about 5km from the western boundary. This name derives from the dominantly boggy nature of the terrain prior to draining commenced by Nathaniel Bland in the later 18th century, who initiated the settlement first called Blandford, and later Sneem (from the Sneem river), Sneem (A tSnaidhm, ‘the knot’) derives its name from the many loops in the river above the village.
Subsequent to this development Sneem became a separate parish in 1784. Lord Dunraven, owner of nearby Garnish Island, had the present church built in 1865.
The eastern end of the parish has its church at Tahilla. The date of a church ruin in the nearby graveyard of Baile na hEaglaise (townland of the church) in the townland of Ankail is unknows, bu the name might indicate a post 12th century date. There may have been an early Christian foundation here, as the site was also as a ‘cill’. The names of ten other ecclesiastical sites contain the elements, ‘cill’, ‘cillin’ or ‘ceallúnach’, which allows them, together with an unnamed small burial place, to be assigned to the early Christian period.
An additional place of worship was provided at the western end of the parish in Glanlough, with the conversion of a school to a church there in 1960. It is worth noting that a plaque in Sneem church commemorates the Sisters of the Presentation Order who served here from 1878 to 1891, before moving on to Western Australia.
Sneem is one of the most attractive tourist villages in Ireland exhibiting a number of fine piece of sculpture on its green, one commemorating the most distinguished resident in recent time, Cearbhail Ó Dálaigh, former President of Ireland, who retired to Sneem and was buried there in 1978.”
Kieran O’Shea, The Diocese of Kerry Formerly Ardfert, Working in the Fields of God, (Strasbourg 2005),p. 122.