During the 18th and 19th centuries, a number of directories were published with information on local professionals and businesses. A forerunner of the Golden (Yellow) Pages, you might think. But they were much more than that. Besides the listings of tradesmen, professionals and public officials there were always lists of local gentry. While most of the Directories covered the main towns and cities, a number included below cover the Kerry towns. All of these directories are available on the subscription site www.FindMyPast.ie.
- 1812,1818,1822,1829 The Treble Almanac: 1812 Lists of Baronets, 1818 Collectors of Excise, 1811 Customs Collectors (Tralee), 1829 Army Chiefs
- 1814 Ambrose Leet’s Directory: Principal residents, 242 Kerry names
- 1846 Slater’s National Commercial Directory of Ireland: Lists nobility, gentry, clergy, traders in Kerry
- 1868 Thom’s Official Directory of Ireland: includes Tralee Borough
- 1880-1881 George Bassett, Limerick City & County: Includes principal towns in Kerry
- 1894 Slater’s Royal National Directory of Ireland: Lists traders, police, teachers, farmers and private residents in each of the towns, villages and parishes of the county.
- 1923 Thom’s Irish Who’s Who: 44 names from Co. Kerry
Full index of Commercial & Social Directories on Finding Your Ancestors in Kerry (Flyleaf Press 2015)